Gulf Shores

Gulf Shores
Photographer Patricia Gulick

Sunday, August 25, 2013

6-18-13 RMB Same Love by Macklemore

6-18-13 RMB Same Love by Macklemore
Dear Rita Mae Brown,
On my walk I listened to the radio and heard a rap song on NPR about gay rights. Rap and gay rights, not two topics often found in the same sentence. But that was NPR, where life is discussed differently, with more acceptance and their stories include messages from around the world, a variety of cultures, including sub-cultures. I listen to the station sometimes to hear the accents, life of a different flavor, brought to me from them, from the outside world to be a part of my insides.
On that walk, the topic reached me from a different angle, from the inside out, words combined with more power than I could have constructed. Macklemore is the artist, the rapper, the writer of lyrics that move humanity forward. Because now it plays on other stations and in other nations, others are listening now.
[excerpt of Same Love by Macklemore]
The right wing conservatives think it’s a decision
And you can be cured with some treatment and religion
Man-made, rewiring of a pre-disposition
Playing God
Ahh- nah, here we go
America the brave
Still fears what we don’t know

Macklemore, I’ve never heard his name before in my life, but he has made my hero list for this contribution. When I look up the song, I see there are others, Jay-Z and Snoop Dogg, just to name a couple, who have stepped up, who have spoke out.

They all speak for something beyond gay and straight, beyond rights for one group. They talk of acceptance for all, equality for all. I like the links of this convoy. I like where it is going…to a better tomorrow.

Goodnight,
Loraine

No comments:

Post a Comment