Gulf Shores

Gulf Shores
Photographer Patricia Gulick

Sunday, July 7, 2013

5-6-13 RMB Human Nature

5-6-13 RMB Human Nature
Dear Rita Mae Brown,
Today another friend mentioned your letters in her blog. She is the enlightened one. Again, I wanted to ask “Really??? Are you kidding me?” No kidding, she really did at www.jennyredbug.com. She refers to you as “amazing” and “a literary genius”. She has good taste.
I also heard from the sister. She couldn’t chat right then, but told me where she was in the letters and that she was working her way through them. I have a feeling I am in for a talking to, a sibling version of “wait until your father gets home”. I know her heart is always in the right place, always concerned about me, concerned for me. Ha, I’m concerned too :) but I’m having too much fun to stop.
If I can have two cardboard boxes as window coverings, why can’t I write letters to Rita Mae Brown? Who says we have to be conventional, that’s too boring.
Which reminds me, I was discussing Southern Discomfort with a friend today and noted that everything goes in your novels, the good, the bad, the strange, the fun and even the awful. If there are any taboos, they certainly aren’t the traditional ones. You state things, things not regularly stated in the mainstream novels I’ve read, with such matter-of-factness that the lives, inside and out, of your characters is revealed in depth.
An individual’s flaws sometimes reveal more about them than their actions or words. You allow your characters to be flawed, to be human. My own perspective, the don’t rock the boat individual inside of me, tends to be dismayed in certain paragraphs only to see the picture form, to realize there is something more there, something worth understanding…human nature.
‘Grow, I dare you’
I am.
Keep the ink flowing,
Loraine

No comments:

Post a Comment