Gulf Shores

Gulf Shores
Photographer Patricia Gulick

Wednesday, March 19, 2014

10-27-13 RMB Parks, Football and Authors



10-27-13 RMB Parks, Football and Authors

Dear Rita Mae Brown,

On this Sunday, I took the sister to an early morning meeting, piling sleepy boys in the car. Last night, after their moms’ wedding, we went to their schools Halloween gathering, played carnival games and rode rides. Then they retired at my place, giving their moms a one night honeymoon.

After dropping the sister off, we travel to a nearby park, where I walk and three boys rest in the car. As the sun warms the air, chasing away dawns chill, the boys crawl out of hibernation. One by one, they appear, asking for their scooters from the trunk or a ball or whatever strikes their fancy, as the day calls them out to play. Bless the invention of the community park, where strangers exchange smiles and dogs get their fill of attention and boys play, living out adventure after adventure.

As we go about our day, between tasks, riding in the car, we listen to Jillian Michaels’ book Unlimited. I like her no nonsense approach, although I have to caution the boys not to repeat some of the words she uses. From her, the words fit. She cuts to the chase. She makes good points. Mile after mile, the CD plays while we drive around and we are enriched by her insights.

By the middle of the day, I get a chance to watch football. Aaron Rodgers has captured a bit of my heart. He is one of the blessings in my life. A bit over the top? Perhaps, but what else would you call someone that brings excitement and fun in your life? His determination to do his best shows in every game, in every play, and it inspires me. He has a goodness about him that shines through. Yes, he a blessing to me.  

As are you Rita Mae Brown. By the end of the night, I am ready to retire to the solitude of my room, where I curl up on a small couch with the book Off the Beaten Path to read the RMB contribution to the compilation. It is a Dead Man’s Curve story from your youth, involving those lively characters, your mother and aunt. I get a kick out of seeing your humor, insights and stories in the books you have contributed to. You are too fun.

So, what do we take from this day, hmm? That we live in a country graced with community parks, fine athletes and outspoken authors, where we are blessed, uplifted and encouraged in equal measure, where life is the adventure we make it out to be. All for one and one for all!

Forty-two, fifteen, hut!
 
Loraine

No comments:

Post a Comment