Gulf Shores

Gulf Shores
Photographer Patricia Gulick

Tuesday, December 24, 2013

9-7-13 RMB Hmm?

9-7-13 RMB Hmm?
Dear Rita Mae Brown,
On this very warm Saturday I take up my friend’s offer to let the boys swim in her pool. They splash and play while I sit and think or chat with my friend.
Later, I retire to my room to write and read. I am juggling a few books now, along with your Wish You Were Here, I am reading Gerri Hill’s The Scorpion, another good book by another superb author. The crimes she describes are a bit much for me, but I know others like that kind of grit. Her characters are intriguing and the locales are well thought out. Her story lines draw me in.
I am also reading a book on organizing one’s mind. It goes more into details of how the brain works than I think I need to know. I can see this book does not hold any keys to how I can make my brain function better, but I’ll keep hunting for one that does.
In sales, I’ve learned that giving people too many options muddles the process. Give a person two things to chose from and the choice is easy. Give them three and there is more hesitation, four and they’ve lost focus, more than that and forget it. In life, we have so many choices in every aspect of living…what to do, where to go, how to act, what to think, how to plan our day. Our attention is pulled and our obligations mount. Our focus is lost; our minds muddled.
If there were one thing you wished to accomplish in this life, what would it be?
I ask myself that and the answer is clear. Write. Leave works of meaning behind. We can take nothing with us when we go, so acquiring objects seems of little value to me.
Yet words, words can echo from one plain to another, from those willing to write them, speak them and share them to those willing to hear and understand them. Something tells me that I can take my words with me, ones I gather together that hold something precious, once written, read and spoken. They will carry on. They will accompany me and others on our journeys. And perhaps, with the help of the good Lord or fate’s blessing, I will come around to meet my words again on this plain.
What will I write that echoes forward? Of that I haven’t a clue, but I feel these letters are a step in that direction, or a part of the body of work that will hold court with someone’s heart, sometime, somewhere.
If there were one thing you wished to accomplish in this life, what would it be?
There are as many answers as there are individuals, and I venture to bet most, are fun, exciting, thrilling, loving things. What if our time and our choices were centered on that accomplishment? Would we help one another? Would we be happier? Kinder? Stronger, wiser?
If there were one thing you wished to accomplish in this life, what would it be?
Hmm?
Loraine

No comments:

Post a Comment