Gulf Shores

Gulf Shores
Photographer Patricia Gulick

Sunday, January 12, 2020

1/12/19 RMB Happy Birthday DDD


1/12/20 RMB Happy Birthday DDD


Dear Rita Mae Brown,

Today is his 85th birthday. On January 12th in 1935 a baby boy was born who would one day become my father.

This memory stands out. Some fifty years ago he carried me upstairs to bed after I fell asleep in our family’s Pennsylvania living room, nestled in the middle of a military housing complex.

He has taught me a lot of things by example and by his words. I’ve matured enough now to absorb those lessons more than before.

As a Marine he fought for his country in 2 wars and now helps recognize and show appreciation to Wounded Warriors for their service.

We refer to him as Dearest Daddy Darling, said with endearment and a bit of over the top humor. It seemed important to say something today. Memories flood in. I am fortunate to have a chance to express gratitude to the father that carried me up those stairs and who has carried our family in his heart these many decades.

Happy Birthday Daddy Darling Dearest!


Cheers,
Loraine

No comments:

Post a Comment