Gulf Shores

Gulf Shores
Photographer Patricia Gulick

Sunday, June 23, 2019

6/23/19 RMB Hello Summer


6/23/19 RMB Hello Summer

Dear Rita Mae Brown,

Summer has arrived. The air is a dryer, at least here in Southern California that’s the case. The deserts are heating up to triple digits. The days of daylight stretching into the evening hours have reached their peak. Dusk will join us a bit earlier from here on into fall.

I’d like to say that I spent the time since my last letter finalizing my novel, or finally fixing up that spare room, or on making headway on some giant goal. Alas, there were wonderful adventures, like viewing the Ramona play in Hemet, celebrating its 96th season, and the recent family reunion in Seacrest, Florida. However, the vast majority of moments were simply lived.

Our Writers Circle met last night and our ten minute writing theme was “Lost dog”, which I shortened to “Lost” and wrote:

Lost days mount up. All that I could do or would do remains undone, and a challenge for my future self. That future self will be more efficient and accomplish so much more than present me, who’s highest priority is to watch the last few shows of Alias, season 4.

Future self can juggle writing that novel, work, home repairs, mastering tarot card readings, and, of course, watch season 5 of Alias. Yes, future self will get it all done, or at least that is what present me believes, so that I can put off to tomorrow what I don’t feel moved to do today.

This is a Universal quandary, not mine alone. That brings some comfort. Still, I don’t look forward to the talk with my future self about all that is still left undone when the time of doing anything ends.


It has been a good few months, not really “lost” in a sad sense, just gone with little progress on “my list”. And now we move onward to make the next few months better, starting with this RMB letter and a this inspirational note from Jean Trebek’s website www.insidewink.com.

Today begins it.

Today is the fresh start.
Today is the new year.
Today is the joy.
Do it.
The one thing.
Today.
– Alison Martin

Found on:


Enjoy today,
Loraine

No comments:

Post a Comment